Despite having only been back at school for a few weeks, we are already busy and have lots to tell you:
Uniform Sale - Our next second-hand uniform sale will be on 5th October from 2.30pm to 3.30pm. There will be lots of good quality items for bargain prices so please do come along. If anyone can help our organisers to set up the stall before 2.30pm,this would be much appreciated.
FoBS AGM and Social Evening - On Thursday 5 October at 7:30pm there will be welcome drinks in the School Hall for both new and existing parents, carers and staff. Why not come along and find out more about what FoBS is about? This event will be followed by the FoBS AGM - stick around and you can have a say in how we spend the money we raise!
FoBS Committee Recruitment - At the AGM we are looking to fill several committee vacancies:
Co-Chair: Two or more enthusiastic people to share the day-to-day running of FoBs including recruiting and coordinating event teams and managing projects and activities throughout the year. No previous experience is necessary!
Co-Secretary: To share secretarial duties including writing the weekly email, minuting meetings, producing the end of term newsletter, maintaining the contacts list and monitoring FoBS email accounts.
Fundraisers and Project Managers for FoBS events
If you would like to find out more about any of these roles, please do send us an email and we'll be happy to give you as much information as you need.
FoBS Quiz Night - With a heavy heart and due to being unable to find an organiser, we have had to cancel the next quiz evening that was scheduled to take place on 13th October. We very much hope that someone can come forwards for the next quiz night as this it is a popular event. Please remember that the money we raise goes towards the school and we reluctantly cancel events unless we really have to. Our volunteers and helpers are vital for the running of events and we encourage (and indeed welcome with open arms!) any parent that can give up their time to help so that these great events can take place throughout the year.
Marquee - Does anyone have a marquee (6m x 9m) that FoBs could borrow for this year's fireworks event? We would like this to house the fantastic band Mylar White who will be playing again at this year's event. Please do get in touch if you can help.
Christmas Fair - Christmas is coming around quickly and our Christmas Fair elves are busy organising this event. Donations for the Fair are welcome. Also start saving those jars!
Cake Bake - This Friday's cake bake will be run by Year 6. For Year 6 parents, please bring in cakes on Friday morning. These can be stored in the school staff room until the sale.
Quote of the Week: "Some people want it to happen, some wish it to happen, others make it happen." - Michael Jordan
Thanks, and have a great week!
Friends of Burhill school is an organisation of Burhill parents and staff. Its role is to encourage closer links between home and school. We are best known for our fundraising work, but we organise socials too. Our events provide an opportunity for parents, staff and pupils to get together.
The people who run the friends of Burhill school are parents at the school who volunteer their time to help the school give the best possible educational experience to our children.
How do we fundraise?
We organise various events throughout the year to raise funds for the school:
- Cake Bakes - regular sales organised by class reps, selling cakes to the school at Friday pick-up.
- Fireworks Night - a community event for local people to enjoy this annual celebration.
- Quiz Nights - get together with friends to enjoy a fish & chip dinner and test your brain power.
- Christmas Fair - a family event with Christmas crafts and games, Santa’s grotto, and loads of other fun stalls.
- Spring Ball - a themed dinner and dance evening for the parents of Burhill School.
- Second-hand Uniform Sales
- Ice Cream sales - regular sales in the Summer Term, selling ice lollies at Friday pick-up.
- Summer Fair - a themed family event with bouncy castles and games for the children, a BBQ, Bar, tombolas, and loads more.
- Barclays matched fundraising scheme
What else do we do?
We do lots of things to support the school, such as speaking to new parents, serving tea and coffee at meetings and providing refreshments to the children during school events. We have provided:
- Juice and biscuits for Stories by Candlelight
- Fruit snack & drinks for the Sports Relief Mile
- Ice Lollies at Sports Day
- Easter Eggs
- A gift from Santa and a visit from his Reindeer
- A lantern parade at the Fireworks night
- Children’s Discos
- Second-hand books for school book sales
- Refreshments during Parent Consultations
- Christmas Decorations
And many other things...
How do we spend the money raised?
At every meeting there are requests from teachers and the school for equipment that will enhance the learning of our children. We take a vote and decide whether to accept the request. Recently the friends of Burhill school have purchased:
- Lego Therapy, books and Lego construction kits for learning support
- Science backpacks
- Class sets of ukuleles, recorders, glockenspiels and steel pan drums
- Sports kits and dance tops
- Class set of wireless headphones for the ICT Suite
- 15 digital cameras
- Mobile Library and new books for classrooms
- Board games for wet play
- Electric cooker
- Window seat cushions
- Gardening equipment
- Coat trolley
- Water fountains
- Mobile Mud Kitchen
- Netball/basketball nets and hockey sticks
- Outdoor stage
- Gazebos and feet weights
- Extension leads
- Clothes rail
- Large Igloo Cooler
And much more...
There are larger projects in the planning stages that we have been raising money for, e.g. the Spring Ball this year raised money for the new library.
The ‘Quiet Garden’ is about to have an overhaul with composters, wormeries, benches and more to encourage the children’s enjoyment of nature.
We are looking into the possibility of keeping ducks on the school grounds, ‘Beehive TV’, outdoor Reading Dens and Shade Sails.
How can you get involved?
We really value our families and could not achieve what we do without their help. There are lots of ways you can support your child through the PTA. For example:
Offering to help with events
‘Admin’ tasks such as wrapping gifts, folding raffle tickets, updating social media etc.
Volunteering to be a Class Representative, Committee Member or other smaller role
Coming to our friendly monthly meetings to share your ideas and opinions.
Do you have any contacts or skills we could use? Everything is potentially valuable to us.
We are always extremely grateful to receive donations for our fundraising events.
Donations? What do we need?
This year we have requested and received many different types of donations:
- Bottles, chocolate and sweets for tombolas
- Treasure jars, jars filled with sweets and small toys
- Toys, games, puzzles, soft toys and books
- Unwanted gifts and raffle prizes
- Fruit, donated by The Hersham Café
- A freezer to store Ice Lollies, from Jo Russ
- Christmas Decorations and artificial Christmas trees
- Artwork for children
- Small wrapped gifts for Lucky Dip
- Cakes, mostly homemade cupcakes for Cake Sales
- Second-hand school uniform
- We have also borrowed from parents:
- BBQ and BBQ gas
- Clothes rails
- Blender, veg cutter, trays and jugs
- 50 meter measuring tape
Keep an eye out for our helpful weekly emails to keep you updated.
For everything, just email us: firstname.lastname@example.org