Happy Sunday all
Lot’s to tell you this afternoon but first a reminder to come and join us this Monday 21 January at 7pm in the blue hall for the FoBS meeting. Everyone welcome.
a fantastic way to get to know other parents, plus it's a brilliant day for the children and a super fundraiser for our school.
Like us on Facebook Friends of Burhill School Facebook Page
Visit our website https://www.friendsofburhillschool.co.uk
Support us with Easy Fundraising! Click on the link BurhillEasyFundraising
Friends of Burhill school is an organisation of Burhill parents and staff. Its role is to encourage closer links between home and school. We are best known for our fundraising work, but we organise socials too. Our events provide an opportunity for parents, staff and pupils to get together.
The people who run the friends of Burhill school are parents at the school who volunteer their time to help the school give the best possible educational experience to our children.
How do we fundraise?
We organise various events throughout the year to raise funds for the school:
- Cake Bakes - regular sales organised by class reps, selling cakes to the school at Friday pick-up.
- Fireworks Night - a community event for local people to enjoy this annual celebration.
- Quiz Nights - get together with friends to enjoy a fish & chip dinner and test your brain power.
- Christmas Fair - a family event with Christmas crafts and games, Santa’s grotto, and loads of other fun stalls.
- Spring Ball - a themed dinner and dance evening for the parents of Burhill School.
- Second-hand Uniform Sales
- Ice Cream sales - regular sales in the Summer Term, selling ice lollies at Friday pick-up.
- Summer Fair - a themed family event with bouncy castles and games for the children, a BBQ, Bar, tombolas, and loads more.
- Barclays matched fundraising scheme
What else do we do?
We do lots of things to support the school, such as speaking to new parents, serving tea and coffee at meetings and providing refreshments to the children during school events. We have provided:
- Juice and biscuits for Stories by Candlelight
- Fruit snack & drinks for the Sports Relief Mile
- Ice Lollies at Sports Day
- Easter Eggs
- A gift from Santa and a visit from his Reindeer
- A lantern parade at the Fireworks night
- Children’s Discos
- Second-hand books for school book sales
- Refreshments during Parent Consultations
- Christmas Decorations
And many other things...
How do we spend the money raised?
At every meeting there are requests from teachers and the school for equipment that will enhance the learning of our children. We take a vote and decide whether to accept the request. Recently the friends of Burhill school have purchased:
- Lego Therapy, books and Lego construction kits for learning support
- Science backpacks
- Class sets of ukuleles, recorders, glockenspiels and steel pan drums
- Sports kits and dance tops
- Class set of wireless headphones for the ICT Suite
- 15 digital cameras
- Mobile Library and new books for classrooms
- Board games for wet play
- Electric cooker
- Window seat cushions
- Gardening equipment
- Coat trolley
- Water fountains
- Mobile Mud Kitchen
- Netball/basketball nets and hockey sticks
- Outdoor stage
- Gazebos and feet weights
- Extension leads
- Clothes rail
- Large Igloo Cooler
And much more...
There are larger projects in the planning stages that we have been raising money for, e.g. the Spring Ball this year raised money for the new library.
The ‘Quiet Garden’ is about to have an overhaul with composters, wormeries, benches and more to encourage the children’s enjoyment of nature.
We are looking into the possibility of keeping ducks on the school grounds, ‘Beehive TV’, outdoor Reading Dens and Shade Sails.
How can you get involved?
We really value our families and could not achieve what we do without their help. There are lots of ways you can support your child through the PTA. For example:
Offering to help with events
‘Admin’ tasks such as wrapping gifts, folding raffle tickets, updating social media etc.
Volunteering to be a Class Representative, Committee Member or other smaller role
Coming to our friendly monthly meetings to share your ideas and opinions.
Do you have any contacts or skills we could use? Everything is potentially valuable to us.
We are always extremely grateful to receive donations for our fundraising events.
Donations? What do we need?
This year we have requested and received many different types of donations:
- Bottles, chocolate and sweets for tombolas
- Treasure jars, jars filled with sweets and small toys
- Toys, games, puzzles, soft toys and books
- Unwanted gifts and raffle prizes
- Fruit, donated by The Hersham Café
- A freezer to store Ice Lollies, from Jo Russ
- Christmas Decorations and artificial Christmas trees
- Artwork for children
- Small wrapped gifts for Lucky Dip
- Cakes, mostly homemade cupcakes for Cake Sales
- Second-hand school uniform
- We have also borrowed from parents:
- BBQ and BBQ gas
- Clothes rails
- Blender, veg cutter, trays and jugs
- 50 meter measuring tape
Keep an eye out for our helpful weekly emails to keep you updated.
For everything, just email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
or visit us at our new website: