A very Happy Father's Day to all!
Here's your FoBS round up for this week...
Less than 1 week to go to The Greatest Summer Fair!
A huge THANK YOU from the Fair Committee for all your fabulous Mufti Day donations and thank you also to everyone who has already signed up to help on the day. If you'd like to help and haven't volunteered yet, there's still time - just speak to your class rep or email us at the usual FoBS address!
Trolleys will be out all week for any further donations and for anyone who forgot to bring theirs in on Friday.
Calling All Trained First Aiders! Any parents/carers who are qualified First Aiders and would be free to give us just half an hour of your time at the fair to cover the First Aid station, please get in touch. You don't need to be DBS Checked and you don't need to bring anything - First Aid kits provided! We still need more helpers to join the First Aid rota. Many thanks.
Cakes and Bakes! As is traditional, there'll be a Cake Stall at the Summer Fair so we need your lovely donations of cakes and home-made goodies please. (Remember, we're a nut-free school). They can either be left in the trolleys which will be out this coming Friday or brought to the Fair on the day. If you would like your cake boxes and tins back, please make sure they are clearly labelled with your child's name and class so that they can be returned to you.
Burger Kings (and Queens!) If you're a whizz on the BBQ, we're looking for a few helpers to cook and sizzle those burgers - please get in touch if you can give us a hand.
Gardening Shout Out!
The FoBS team invites Burhill families to donate any unwanted gardening items. Which they will plant throughout our beautiful school. On Tuesday 18th June there will be a table out at the Flagpole entrance.
- gardening tools
- plants of all shapes and sizes
- house plants welcome too
- terracotta pots
Anything that is particularly bee-friendly will be planted close to the school apiary for our lucky bees. Any questions about growing at our school you are warmly invited to email firstname.lastname@example.org
URGENT PLEA: We Need A Fireworks Committee!
We desperately need a Fireworks Committee to organise this hugely popular event. Time is running out and we fear it won't go ahead this year unless we can find some fabulous volunteers - please, please get in touch if you can help.
Volunteers WhatsApp Group
Even if you can only spare half an hour of your time, it really does make a difference. If you'd like to help, join our Volunteers WhatsApp Group and we'll put a shout out when we need help - if you're available, just let us know! Just reply to the usual FoBS email address and include your name, child's class and year and your phone number.
Dates for the diary:-
Summer Fair - Saturday 22nd June
School Discos - Friday 5th July
Next FoBS Meeting - 7.30pm, Thursday 4th July in the Blue Hall - All welcome!
You can view the minutes from our monthly meetings, including the our AGMs here: https://friendsofburhillschool.co.uk/meetings-minutes
We would LOVE to hear from you - just hit the REPLY button.
Follow us on Twitter @BurhillFoBS
Like us on Facebook Friends of Burhill School Facebook Page
Visit our website https://www.friendsofburhillschool.co.uk
Support us with Easy Fundraising! Click on the link BurhillEasyFundraising
If you no longer wish to hear from Friends of Burhill School, reply to this email and put 'No Thanks' in the Subject.
Help protect our environment - don’t print this e-mail unless you really need to!
Friends of Burhill school is an organisation of Burhill parents and staff. Its role is to encourage closer links between home and school. We are best known for our fundraising work, but we organise socials too. Our events provide an opportunity for parents, staff and pupils to get together.
The people who run the friends of Burhill school are parents at the school who volunteer their time to help the school give the best possible educational experience to our children.
How do we fundraise?
We organise various events throughout the year to raise funds for the school:
- Cake Bakes - regular sales organised by class reps, selling cakes to the school at Friday pick-up.
- Fireworks Night - a community event for local people to enjoy this annual celebration.
- Quiz Nights - get together with friends to enjoy a fish & chip dinner and test your brain power.
- Christmas Fair - a family event with Christmas crafts and games, Santa’s grotto, and loads of other fun stalls.
- Spring Ball - a themed dinner and dance evening for the parents of Burhill School.
- Second-hand Uniform Sales
- Ice Cream sales - regular sales in the Summer Term, selling ice lollies at Friday pick-up.
- Summer Fair - a themed family event with bouncy castles and games for the children, a BBQ, Bar, tombolas, and loads more.
- Barclays matched fundraising scheme
What else do we do?
We do lots of things to support the school, such as speaking to new parents, serving tea and coffee at meetings and providing refreshments to the children during school events. We have provided:
- Juice and biscuits for Stories by Candlelight
- Fruit snack & drinks for the Sports Relief Mile
- Ice Lollies at Sports Day
- Easter Eggs
- A gift from Santa and a visit from his Reindeer
- A lantern parade at the Fireworks night
- Children’s Discos
- Second-hand books for school book sales
- Refreshments during Parent Consultations
- Christmas Decorations
And many other things...
How do we spend the money raised?
At every meeting there are requests from teachers and the school for equipment that will enhance the learning of our children. We take a vote and decide whether to accept the request. Recently the friends of Burhill school have purchased:
- Lego Therapy, books and Lego construction kits for learning support
- Science backpacks
- Class sets of ukuleles, recorders, glockenspiels and steel pan drums
- Sports kits and dance tops
- Class set of wireless headphones for the ICT Suite
- 15 digital cameras
- Mobile Library and new books for classrooms
- Board games for wet play
- Electric cooker
- Window seat cushions
- Gardening equipment
- Coat trolley
- Water fountains
- Mobile Mud Kitchen
- Netball/basketball nets and hockey sticks
- Outdoor stage
- Gazebos and feet weights
- Extension leads
- Clothes rail
- Large Igloo Cooler
And much more...
There are larger projects in the planning stages that we have been raising money for, e.g. the Spring Ball this year raised money for the new library.
The ‘Quiet Garden’ is about to have an overhaul with composters, wormeries, benches and more to encourage the children’s enjoyment of nature.
We are looking into the possibility of keeping ducks on the school grounds, ‘Beehive TV’, outdoor Reading Dens and Shade Sails.
How can you get involved?
We really value our families and could not achieve what we do without their help. There are lots of ways you can support your child through the PTA. For example:
Offering to help with events
‘Admin’ tasks such as wrapping gifts, folding raffle tickets, updating social media etc.
Volunteering to be a Class Representative, Committee Member or other smaller role
Coming to our friendly monthly meetings to share your ideas and opinions.
Do you have any contacts or skills we could use? Everything is potentially valuable to us.
We are always extremely grateful to receive donations for our fundraising events.
Donations? What do we need?
This year we have requested and received many different types of donations:
- Bottles, chocolate and sweets for tombolas
- Treasure jars, jars filled with sweets and small toys
- Toys, games, puzzles, soft toys and books
- Unwanted gifts and raffle prizes
- Fruit, donated by The Hersham Café
- A freezer to store Ice Lollies, from Jo Russ
- Christmas Decorations and artificial Christmas trees
- Artwork for children
- Small wrapped gifts for Lucky Dip
- Cakes, mostly homemade cupcakes for Cake Sales
- Second-hand school uniform
- We have also borrowed from parents:
- BBQ and BBQ gas
- Clothes rails
- Blender, veg cutter, trays and jugs
- 50 meter measuring tape
Keep an eye out for our helpful weekly emails to keep you updated.
For everything, just email us: email@example.com
or visit us at our new website: