Here's your weekly FoBS round up...
The Greatest Summer Fair
Hopefully you will have noticed the fabulous banners and flyers around school and on Social Media for what we're sure will be The Greatest Summer Fair - a fabulous circus/Greatest Showman themed event! We do still need more volunteers so if you can spare some time in the run up to the Fair or help us on the day, it would be very much appreciated. Come along and get involved!
For Reception through to Year 5. These will all take place on Friday 5th July. We're looking for volunteers to help out on the day so if you are able to help, please email Jessica who has very kindly offered to coordinate the event: email@example.com - Thank you to those of you who have already volunteered!
We're looking for volunteers to help out at our upcoming Sports Days to distribute lollies to the children - if you can help, please get in touch.
Ice Lollies/Ice Cream Sales
In the Summer Term we sell ice creams and lollies on a Friday rather than holding cake sales. We will be allocating these to Year Groups/Classes very soon so look out for further news and messages from Class Reps. We're looking for 1 or 2 helpers to buy the ice creams and keep an eye on stock levels in the freezer for the weekly sales - if you can help with this please let us know.
New DBS Signing In Procedures
If you're a parent helper/volunteer with DBS clearance, please make sure you sign in on the new electronic system at the School Office. You need to sign at least once every half term.
We are looking for volunteers to organise this year's Fireworks event - could this be you?
Volunteers WhatsApp Group
Thank you to everyone who's signed up so far. Even if you can only spare half an hour of your time, it really does make a difference. If you'd like to help, join our Volunteers WhatsApp Group and we'll put a shout out when we need help - if you're available, just let us know! Just reply to the usual FoBS email address and include your name, child's class and year and your phone number.
Dates for the diary:-
Next FoBS Meeting - 7.30pm, Tuesday 21st May in the Blue Hall - All welcome!
Summer Fair Mufti Day - Friday 14th June
Summer Fair - Saturday 22nd June
School Discos - Friday 5th July
You can view the minutes from our monthly meetings, including the our AGMs here: https://friendsofburhillschool.co.uk/meetings-minutes
We would LOVE to hear from you - just hit the REPLY button.
Follow us on Twitter @BurhillFoBS
Like us on Facebook Friends of Burhill School Facebook Page
Visit our website https://www.friendsofburhillschool.co.uk
Support us with Easy Fundraising! Click on the link BurhillEasyFundraising
If you no longer wish to hear from Friends of Burhill School, reply to this email and put 'No Thanks' in the Subject.
Burhill School, reply to this email and put 'No Thanks' in the Subject.
Friends of Burhill school is an organisation of Burhill parents and staff. Its role is to encourage closer links between home and school. We are best known for our fundraising work, but we organise socials too. Our events provide an opportunity for parents, staff and pupils to get together.
The people who run the friends of Burhill school are parents at the school who volunteer their time to help the school give the best possible educational experience to our children.
How do we fundraise?
We organise various events throughout the year to raise funds for the school:
- Cake Bakes - regular sales organised by class reps, selling cakes to the school at Friday pick-up.
- Fireworks Night - a community event for local people to enjoy this annual celebration.
- Quiz Nights - get together with friends to enjoy a fish & chip dinner and test your brain power.
- Christmas Fair - a family event with Christmas crafts and games, Santa’s grotto, and loads of other fun stalls.
- Spring Ball - a themed dinner and dance evening for the parents of Burhill School.
- Second-hand Uniform Sales
- Ice Cream sales - regular sales in the Summer Term, selling ice lollies at Friday pick-up.
- Summer Fair - a themed family event with bouncy castles and games for the children, a BBQ, Bar, tombolas, and loads more.
- Barclays matched fundraising scheme
What else do we do?
We do lots of things to support the school, such as speaking to new parents, serving tea and coffee at meetings and providing refreshments to the children during school events. We have provided:
- Juice and biscuits for Stories by Candlelight
- Fruit snack & drinks for the Sports Relief Mile
- Ice Lollies at Sports Day
- Easter Eggs
- A gift from Santa and a visit from his Reindeer
- A lantern parade at the Fireworks night
- Children’s Discos
- Second-hand books for school book sales
- Refreshments during Parent Consultations
- Christmas Decorations
And many other things...
How do we spend the money raised?
At every meeting there are requests from teachers and the school for equipment that will enhance the learning of our children. We take a vote and decide whether to accept the request. Recently the friends of Burhill school have purchased:
- Lego Therapy, books and Lego construction kits for learning support
- Science backpacks
- Class sets of ukuleles, recorders, glockenspiels and steel pan drums
- Sports kits and dance tops
- Class set of wireless headphones for the ICT Suite
- 15 digital cameras
- Mobile Library and new books for classrooms
- Board games for wet play
- Electric cooker
- Window seat cushions
- Gardening equipment
- Coat trolley
- Water fountains
- Mobile Mud Kitchen
- Netball/basketball nets and hockey sticks
- Outdoor stage
- Gazebos and feet weights
- Extension leads
- Clothes rail
- Large Igloo Cooler
And much more...
There are larger projects in the planning stages that we have been raising money for, e.g. the Spring Ball this year raised money for the new library.
The ‘Quiet Garden’ is about to have an overhaul with composters, wormeries, benches and more to encourage the children’s enjoyment of nature.
We are looking into the possibility of keeping ducks on the school grounds, ‘Beehive TV’, outdoor Reading Dens and Shade Sails.
How can you get involved?
We really value our families and could not achieve what we do without their help. There are lots of ways you can support your child through the PTA. For example:
Offering to help with events
‘Admin’ tasks such as wrapping gifts, folding raffle tickets, updating social media etc.
Volunteering to be a Class Representative, Committee Member or other smaller role
Coming to our friendly monthly meetings to share your ideas and opinions.
Do you have any contacts or skills we could use? Everything is potentially valuable to us.
We are always extremely grateful to receive donations for our fundraising events.
Donations? What do we need?
This year we have requested and received many different types of donations:
- Bottles, chocolate and sweets for tombolas
- Treasure jars, jars filled with sweets and small toys
- Toys, games, puzzles, soft toys and books
- Unwanted gifts and raffle prizes
- Fruit, donated by The Hersham Café
- A freezer to store Ice Lollies, from Jo Russ
- Christmas Decorations and artificial Christmas trees
- Artwork for children
- Small wrapped gifts for Lucky Dip
- Cakes, mostly homemade cupcakes for Cake Sales
- Second-hand school uniform
- We have also borrowed from parents:
- BBQ and BBQ gas
- Clothes rails
- Blender, veg cutter, trays and jugs
- 50 meter measuring tape
Keep an eye out for our helpful weekly emails to keep you updated.
For everything, just email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
or visit us at our new website: